Last Updated: 17 February 2010
CarNod is bound by the National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cwth).
What information CarNod collects
In general, the personal information CarNod collects about you includes (but is not limited to) your username, password, e-mail address, name, other contact details (such as address and phone numbers), the services CarNod provide to you, records of communication with CarNod and possibly financial information, including your bank account or credit card information.
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, CarNod may not be able to provide you with the full range of CarNod services.
CarNod also collects information about you that is not personal information. For example, CarNod may collect data relating to your activity on CarNod's websites (including IP addresses) via tracking technologies such as cookies, or CarNod may collect information from you in response to a survey. CarNod generally uses this information to report statistics, analyse trends, administer CarNod's services, diagnose problems and target and improve the quality of CarNod's products and services. To the extent this information does not constitute personal information, the National Privacy Principles do not apply and CarNod may use this information for any purpose and by any means whatsoever.
CarNod generally advise that you do not publish or communicate personal information, or at least limit the personal information that you publish or communicate, to the public via CarNod's services, such as in CarNod's reviews, comments, classifieds, forums or blogs (Non-Confidential Information). You acknowledge that CarNod cannot control any third party collection or use of your Non-Confidential Information. You agree that CarNod may use and disclose Non-Confidential Information for any purpose and by any means whatsoever.
How CarNod collects this information
CarNod may collect your personal information from a variety of sources, including from you, advertisers, mailing lists, contractors and business partners.
CarNod may collect your personal information when you request or acquire a product or service from us, register for a User Account with CarNod, provide a product or service to us, complete a survey or questionnaire, enter a competition or event, participate in CarNod's services (including reviews, comments, blogs and forums) or when you communicate with CarNod.
If, at any time, you provide personal or other information about someone other than yourself, you warrant that you have that person's consent to provide such information for the purpose specified.
How CarNod uses this information
Your personal information may be used by CarNod for the following purposes:
- to provide the services requested by you;
- to manage those services including, customer service and billing;
- to display the Public Content that you have submitted or uploaded to CarNod;
- to personalise and customise your experience on CarNod;
- to research, develop and improve the CarNod Website and CarNod's products and services;
- to communicate with you, including by email, mail or telephone;
- to conduct competitions or promotions;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with CarNod's services, and the use and satisfaction of products, services and businesses listed on CarNod;
- to generate statistics and analyse trends in relation to the CarNod Website;
- to verify your identity;
- to investigate any complaints about or made by you or Public Content that you have posted on CarNod, or if CarNod have reason to suspect that you are in breach of any of the CarNod Website Terms and Conditions or that you are or have been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity;
- to provide you with news and information about CarNod's products and services, and opportunities that CarNod believe you may be interested in;
- for purposes connected with the operation of CarNod;
- to personalise the advertising you see when you visit CarNod; and/or
- as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
How CarNod discloses this information
CarNod may also disclose personal information, and you consent to CarNod disclosing your personal information, to individuals and organisations other than those in the CarNod Group:
- authorised by you to receive information held by CarNod;
- that are CarNod's agents, business partners or joint venture entities or partners;
- engaged by CarNod to perform functions or provide products and services on CarNod's behalf, such as information technology providers, processing credit card information, mail-outs, debt collection, marketing, research and advertising;
- that sponsor or promote any competition that CarNod conducts or promotes via CarNod's services;
- as part of any investigation into you or your activity or Public Content that you have posted on CarNod, for example, if CarNod have reason to suspect that you are in breach of any of the CarNod Website Terms and Conditions or that you are or have been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity, and CarNod reasonably believes that disclosure is necessary to the Police, any relevant authority or enforcement body, or your Internet Service Provider or network administrator;
- as part of a sale (or proposed sale) of all or part of CarNod's business; and/or
- as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
How CarNod manages and secures this information
Other than in relation to Non-Confidential Information, CarNod will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that CarNod holds from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access, including by means of firewalls, security policies, authentication and authorization, secure servers and encryption of credit card transactions.
However, you acknowledge that the security of online transactions and the security of communications sent by electronic means or by post cannot be guaranteed. You provide information to CarNod at your own risk. We cannot accept responsibility for misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information where the security of information is not within CarNod's control.
You acknowledge that CarNod are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of any third party (including third parties that CarNod are permitted to disclose your personal information to in accordance with this policy or any applicable laws). The collection and use of your information by such third party/ies may be subject to separate privacy and security policies.
If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please contact CarNod immediately.
How to opt in or out
How to access and update your information, and how to contact CarNod
Subject to some exceptions (as defined in the Privacy Act), you have the right to seek access to and update the personal information CarNod holds about you. If you make an access request, CarNod will ask you to verify your identity. CarNod may charge a fee to cover the costs of meeting your request.
Additionally, members of CarNod will generally be able to access and update some of their personal information online.
If you would like to seek access to personal information CarNod holds about you, or if you have any questions or complaints about how CarNod collects, uses, discloses, manages or stores your personal information then please write to:
PO Box 5012
South Melbourne VIC 3205